What beginners should know about getting fit faster
Feeling nervous, scared or a little intimidated? Many people feel that way at first, but don’t let it stop you from coming to class. Bikram Choudhury designed this class for beginners. With patience and a little practice, you’ll quickly feel right at home. Classes are open to all levels. Whether you’re just starting out or advanced, it’s guaranteed to challenge everyone.
- First-time students must arrive 15 minutes before class for orientation. This includes visiting Bikram Yoga students, regardless of previous experience. You can save time by printing and completing our registration and liability waiver before you arrive. (Click here to download.)
- Please let the teacher know if you have had recent surgery or have any injuries, illnesses or special conditions.
- For women who are pregnant, we recommend an established Bikram Yoga practice (at least six months) beforehand.
- Class starts on time. No latecomers will be admitted. No exceptions, no excuses.
- If you’re under 18, you must bring written parental permission. If you’re under 15, you must also bring a parent or other adult with you for every class.
- Don’t think you have to get into shape before coming to class. That puts the cart before the horse! Begin your practice, and before you know it you’ll begin to lose weight, get in shape and feel wonderful.
- An open mind
- A positive attitude
- An empty stomach; don’t eat for two or three hours before class starts.
- A hydrated body; please drink plenty of water throughout the day before coming to class.
- A yoga mat, towel, and water. We also sell and rent mats and towels.
- Wear light and fitted clothing, such as sports bras, shorts, swimwear. Avoid sweatpants, long pants or heavy T-shirts.
- Set up your mat in the rear of the yoga room.
- Class is 90 minutes long. We do 26 postures (two sets of each posture) and two breathing exercises.
- Expect to sweat. The room is heated, and sweating out toxins is an integral part of Bikram Hot Yoga.
- Feel free to approach the instructors with any questions or concerns before and after class.
- Cool down in the yoga room.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Take your second class within 24 hours.
Remember, everyone has to endure the very first Bikram Hot Yoga class, and everyone remembers it! People who’ve been coming for years make it look easy because they’ve stuck with it.
If you want to get the most benefit from Bikram Hot Yoga, you’ll need to commit to at least 10 classes in 30 days. So make up your mind to take those 10 classes as quickly as possible. Then, no one will have to tell you how good this yoga is for you. You’ll know from experience.